Competition BBQ in Europe is Exploding with Tomaso Castiglioni
Competition BBQ in Europe is indeed going strong, and it’s a pleasure to have this opportunity to share with you a conversation I had with Tomaso Castiglioni. Tomaso is head pitmaster for BBQ4All Defenders and owner of Smokin’ Qitchen-BBQ’n’Brews in Limbiate, Itlay.
At the time of this interview, Tomaso and BBQ4All Defenders had just won Grand Champion honors at the 2016 Bohemian BBQ Competition in Prague, CZ – organized by Clint and Eva Meyer. It was a huge win, as BBQ4All Defenders was the first Italian Competition BBQ team to finish as a Grand Champion outside of Italy!
As there’s a six-hour time difference between where I am here in Winter Haven, FL and Limbiate – I ended up catching Tomaso at the end of his work shift at Smokin’ Qitchen. It was a fun conversation, and it’s one I think you’ll really enjoy!
What You’ll Hear in This Session with Tomaso Castiglioni
First, you’ll recognize that BBQ is a real passion for Tomaso, so much so that it served as the inspiration for his restaurant and has become his life’s focus. Clearly, competition BBQ in Europe has many of the same driving forces behind its growing popularity that we enjoy about it here in the US.
Among these forces are camaraderie, family fun, the excitement of pitting yourself against the best of the best, and of course an obsession of perfecting the marriage of meat and smoke!
It was especially good to learn about how Tomaso and the other teams in Europe manage competing across such vast distances – routinely traveling by air and helping each other out with smokers, meat, etc.
Time Stamped Show Notes
- [1:39] Tomaso shares his background with cooking as a kid, the way he first began to fall in love with competition BBQ, and his progression to where he is today.
- [6:00] American style competition BBQ in Europe is a big deal! “The Jack Daniel’s Cap is a focus on my mind!” Here, we learn about Tomaso’s philosophy of “Smokin’ess!”
- [8:00] Tomaso discusses his work at Smokin’ Qitchen-BBQ’n’Brews in Limbiate, Itlay and how what he does with competition BBQ impacts the food he serves there. “The Holy Trinity!!!!”
- [9:32] We talk a little bit about where Tomaso sources the meat he uses at his restaurant and with the work he does with the BBQ4All Defenders team while competing.
- [11:19] We go into more detail about what Tomaso serves up at Smokin’ Qitchen – a great menu and we learn about the “Jiggly Brisket” videos we’re starting to see popping up online!
- [12:56] Tomaso shares the story of how BBQ4All Defenders won Grand Champion honors at the 2016 Bohemian BBQ event in Prague. He also talks about managing the logistics of long distance travel to BBQ competitions. In a nutshell… KCBS BBQ in Europe is “a Gypsy BBQ Family!”
- [21:12] Tomaso shares a bit about his family… furry kid lovers will like this!
- [21:39] We know trying new techniques at a competition can be tricky. Tomaso shares one he tried at a comp, which paid off when they won Prague!
- [23:30] We learn that it won’t be too long before Tomaso and the BBQ4All Defenders cook team heads to the US! Learn about his plans for them to compete at the 2016 American Royal Invitational.
- [25:47] Parting words and Tomaso gives a great shout out to his lovely wife, his teammates, and his friends.
How to Connect with Find Tomaso Castiglioni
Please take time to reach out to Tomaso and say hello. He’s super responsive via Facebook messenger. You can find him at these following online locations:
- Tomaso Castiglioni’s Facebook Page
- Smokin’ Qitchen – BBQ’n’Brews Facebook Page
- BBQ4All Defenders Team Facebook Page
If you’re ever in Northern Italy, check out his restaurant!
Resources Mentioned in This Session:
To get a better idea of what’s going on with competition BBQ in Europe, take a look at these links.
- Gianfranco Lo Cascio and BBQ4All Media, you can find more about both of them here.
- Oh My Rub! – BBQ rub products by BBQ4All Defenders Team and Salty Donkey
- Clint and Eva Meyer Bohemian BBQ Event
- Teams mentioned in this podcast include: Southern Dutch BBQ, BBQ Longhorn Ranch Hands, Miss Piggy’s UK, BBQ Wiesel, Smoking Bad BBQ, and Barktenders BBQ Team
Subscribe to the BBQ Beat Podcast!
If you enjoyed this session, please share it with friends! Of course, to be sure you don’t miss another episode, please subscribe via iTunes or your favorite Android podcast player! Simply click one of the buttons below!