In this podcast session, I talk with Mark Graham and Shane Draper of Grilla Grills. You’ve likely read the review I wrote on the Grilla Grill model. If so, I hope you found it informative.
This podcast interview takes things with Grilla a step forward as we speak with Mark and Shane about their respective roles at Grilla, as well as the different thoughts, plans, and iterations Grilla went through as they launched what I’ll call Version 2.0 of their business – moving from a dealership based model to a direct-to-consumer one.
Mark Graham is the Head of Engineering for Grilla grills. It was his idea to start manufacturing pellet grills as a sideline of the wood furnace business the company he worked for was in. Be sure to listen to the planning process he went through when he designed the first Grilla Grill model.
Shane Draper, of Draper’s BBQ Fame, comes from a long line of Kentucky BBQ pitmasters. Many of you reading this are familiar with Draper’s BBQ Sauce and their outstanding AP Rub. Shane brings his culinary and BBQ smoking chops to the Grilla Grills effort by consulting on grill design, developing recipes and videos, as well as manning the front lines for Grilla’s customer questions.
What you’ll hear in this podcast:
We’ll begin with Mark detailing his history with Grilla Grills. Specifically, he talks about his initial designs for the Grilla model, the move from US-based manufacturing and a dealership network to an outsourcing model and a direct to consumer sales channel.
Shane adds to this conversation as well, and then moves the discussion forward to the work Grilla is doing from a culinary standpoint. Some great information is also shared here on the social media grass-roots method by which Grilla is building its customer base.
Grills Featured In this Interview:
Mark and Shane do a great job of running through the features, benefits, and some customer testimonials on the following three Grilla Grills models:
Grilla Wood Pellet Grill
Grilla wood pellet grill has a uniqued convection airflow design for optimal flavor in a smoker grill. EvenTemp Chamber, Keep Heat Swing Lid and Never Flare Flavor Disk produce a consistent heat and smoke level in the cooking chamber. Convertible, two-tiered stainless steel grill grates. Set ‘n Forget digital controls makes barbecuing as easy as baking. Autostart means no matches, lighter fluid or gas required. EZ glide wheels. Powder-coat finish. Stainless steel work surface. Flame viewing window.
Grilla Grills Silverbac Wood Pellet Grill with Digital Controls
Large grilling surface, heavy-duty hinged stainless steel lid, ample work surfaces, convenient storage. With a large automatic pellet feed and Set ‘n Forget digital controls, Silverbac can smoke all day long with little attention needed. Smoke in any flavor wood pellets or use as conventional grill. Autostart means no matches, lighter fluid or gas required. EZ glide wheels. High-temperature, powder-coat finish weathers season after grilling season.
Grilla Grills Kong 24in Kamado Grill
This charcoal kamado grill is made of heavy-duty ceramic. Uses lump or briquette charcoal. Retains heat and moisture for extended cooking. Bake, roast, grill and smoke. Dome temperature gauge. Adjustable vent. The large, stainless steel cooking grates are easily accessible from the sides and are split for direct and indirect cooking. Twin work surfaces fold down for easy storage. Sure-latch lid. EZ glide wheels. High-gloss finish.
Catch the Grilla Grills Recipe Videos Here
I hope you enjoyed listening to this podcast. Mark and Shane are both super good guys, and it was a blast talking with them. Folks – this is what I like to do. If there are people out there you’d like me to speak to, let me know. I’ll do my level best to reach out to them and book a session. As you can see, I do a long format deal here – so there’s plenty of time to flesh out some great stories from each guest.
Contact Grilla Grills
- Grilla Grills website: http://grillagrills.com/
- Main Grilla Grills Facebook Page: Click here
- Grilla Grills User-Sponsored Facebook Group: Click here
Be Sure to Listen to More Episodes!
If you enjoyed this episode of the BBQ Beat Podcast, you can see the full podcast archive here. Or, simply catch up on some of the other most popular BBQ podcast conversations listed below.
- Razorracks BBQ on Winning Big with a Small FootprintTalking with Drew Davis of Razorracks BBQ about how teams without big rigs, toy haulers, or trailers can still win big on the competition BBQ trail! Topics discussed include the importance of having the right mindset, tips for making the most out of your team’s competition dollars, and much more. Keep Reading »
- Duce Raymond of Sweet Baby Ray’sIn this episode, I talk with Duce Raymond of Sweet Baby Ray’s about the origins of the world’s most popular barbecue sauce. But we go way deeper than that. Duce shares the origins of the iconic Sweet Baby Ray’s sauce, but he also details how one very important lesson from his uncle continues to drive the family’s successful restaurants and catering business forward. Keep Reading »
- Black Smoke: African Americans and the United States of BarbecueIt was my great pleasure to sit down for a chat with James Beard Book Award Author Adrian Miller to discuss his latest book, Black Smoke: African Americans and the United States of Barbecue. A true scholar, historian, and lover of smoked meats, Adrian and I talk about the contents of this text, along with the reasons he felt it needed to be written. Keep Reading »
- Ted Reader on Making it Tasty with Live FireNo one embodies the spirit of crafting amazing food with live fire better than Canada’s Chef Ted Reader. I can’t thank Teddy enough for sitting down and allowing me to record this EPIC chat! Keep Reading »
- Chris Becker of CookinPellets.comChris Becker founded CookinPellets to make the best premium BBQ pellets available. Join me for an in-depth look at how and why he did it. Keep Reading »
- Amy Mills – BBQ Business and the Legacy of Mr. MikeAmy Mills of 17th Street BBQ shares loving memories of her Dad, Mr. Mike Mills, the impact COVID has had on their business, and more. Keep Reading »
- 2021 Hog Drop Champion John LindseyIn this episode, I talk with John Lindsey of All Q’ued Up BBQ about his recent Grand Champion win at the 2021 Hog Drop held at the Jack’s Old South compound in Unadilla, GA. Keep Reading »
- Rusty and Anthony of the Pitmasters PodcastRusty Monson and Anthony Lujan host the Pitmasters Podcast… and they are on a mission to ignite the passion of cooks everywhere-from amateur to pro-to continue to exceed their own expectations on their journey to Master the Pit! Anyone who loves cooking with live fire and the fun and fellowship of BBQ should make the … Read more
- Montana Max on Food Sport and His BBQ Champs Academy SeriesGreat chat with food sport professional Montana Max about his new ancillary classes offered up on BBQ Champs Academy! Keep Reading »
- Protecting Knives in Style – Talking with Mick Kerkham of Maka Leathergoodswith “Maka” Kerkham from Maka Leathergoods in Tasmania. His leather knife rolls are sought after by top chefs and BBQ pitmasters worldwide. Keep Reading »