Competition BBQ in Europe is indeed going strong, and it’s a pleasure to have this opportunity to share with you a conversation I had with Tomaso Castiglioni. Tomaso is head pitmaster for BBQ4All Defenders and owner of Smokin’ Qitchen-BBQ’n’Brews in Limbiate, Itlay.
At the time of this interview, Tomaso and BBQ4All Defenders had just won Grand Champion honors at the 2016 Bohemian BBQ Competition in Prague, CZ – organized by Clint and Eva Meyer. It was a huge win, as BBQ4All Defenders was the first Italian Competition BBQ team to finish as a Grand Champion outside of Italy!
As there’s a six-hour time difference between where I am here in Winter Haven, FL and Limbiate – I ended up catching Tomaso at the end of his work shift at Smokin’ Qitchen. It was a fun conversation, and it’s one I think you’ll really enjoy!
What You’ll Hear in This Session with Tomaso Castiglioni
First, you’ll recognize that BBQ is a real passion for Tomaso, so much so that it served as the inspiration for his restaurant and has become his life’s focus. Clearly, competition BBQ in Europe has many of the same driving forces behind its growing popularity that we enjoy about it here in the US.
Among these forces are camaraderie, family fun, the excitement of pitting yourself against the best of the best, and of course an obsession of perfecting the marriage of meat and smoke!
It was especially good to learn about how Tomaso and the other teams in Europe manage competing across such vast distances – routinely traveling by air and helping each other out with smokers, meat, etc.
If you’re ever in Northern Italy, check out his restaurant!
Resources Mentioned in This Session:
To get a better idea of what’s going on with competition BBQ in Europe, take a look at these links.
- Gianfranco Lo Cascio and BBQ4All Media, you can find more about both of them here.
- Oh My Rub! – BBQ rub products by BBQ4All Defenders Team and Salty Donkey
- Clint and Eva Meyer Bohemian BBQ Event
- Teams mentioned in this podcast include: Southern Dutch BBQ, BBQ Longhorn Ranch Hands, Miss Piggy’s UK, BBQ Wiesel, Smoking Bad BBQ, and Barktenders BBQ Team
About the BBQ Beat Podcast
The BBQ Beat Podcast, with BBQ Podcast host Kevin Sandridge, shares all that’s good in competition and backyard BBQ and grilling. Guests include competition BBQ pitmasters, food industry insiders, BBQ and grilling product manufacturers, and event promoters from the US as well as abroad. If you love BBQ and have an appreciation for southern culture and live-fire cooking – this is the Barbecue podcast for you.
Be Sure to Listen to More Episodes!
- 2019 World Food Championships Final Table and Dallas Update with Mike McCloudMike McCloud shares exciting news about the 2019 dates, location, and cooking format for the upcoming Final Table event, and the new Dallas, TX location. Keep Reading »
- Aaron Lesley of Texas Oil Dust BBQ talks IBCA, Midland Meat Company and MoreThis episode of the BBQ Beat Podcast features Aaron Lesley of Texas Oil Dust BBQ. We talk about IBCA competition cooking, Midland Meat Company, and more. Keep Reading »
- All About Chairman’s Reserve Prime Pork with Ozlem WorpelIn this podcast episode, we talk about Chairman’s Reserve Prime Pork from Tyson Fresh Meats with Ozlem Worpel, Senior Brand Manager – Tyson Fresh Meats. Keep Reading »
- Always Hustling – Ray Sheehan on Crafting Flavors and Promoting Your BBQ BrandWith 20 years in the food business and a work ethic founded on the lessons learned on his Grandfather’s farm, New Jersey native Ray Sheehan of BBQ Buddha knows what it takes to craft creative BBQ Flavors and promote a BBQ brand. Keep Reading »
- Andy Lugo talks Cooper’s Meat Market, Service, and Custom CutsIn this BBQ Beat podcast session, I talk with Andy Lugo of Cooper’s Meat Market in San Antonio, TX. It’s all about meat that’s custom cut from primals, service, and more. Be sure to listen, comment, and subscribe to the podcast in iTunes of your favorite Android podcast app. Keep Reading »
- Arnie Segovia of Smokin’ Lonestar on Family, IBCA Competition, and His Love of CueIn this podcast episode, I speak with Arnie Segovia of Smokin’ Lonestar, based out of Edinburg , TX. You can’t get too much further south in Texas than that! A great man and super fun to talk with. You’ll love this one! Keep Reading »
- BBQ Contest Organization Success with Gary Moss of Tilley’s Biker Blues and BBQ RallyIn this podcast session, Gary Moss shares some keys to BBQ Contest Organization Success. If you are a BBQ contest organizer, this is the podcast for you. Keep Reading »
- BBQ Greats Talk About Giving Back at the 2019 Firebox InvitationalIn this podcast episode, I talk with some of the most well known innovators in BBQ about what it means to them to help the Firebox Initiative provide financial assistance to food service and hospitality workers in need. Keep Reading »
- BBQ in Britain with Kevin Edge of Edge BBQTalking with Kevin Edge of Edge BBQ (UK) about his British BBQ journey, his growing success on Instagram, and his two sociopathic chickens! Keep Reading »
- BBQGuys.com Randy Watson is Living his Best Live Fire LifeLearn why Randy Watson of BBQGuys.com is living his live-fire cooking dream and how you can take steps to achieve yours! Keep Reading »