Derrick Riches needs little in the way of introduction in BBQ circles, having been the BBQ editor for About.com for the last 20 years (starting in 1997) easily one of if not the most authoritative sites on the Internet.
When I started blogging about BBQ, there were two sites I looked to for information on different BBQ and grilling equipment, recipes, etc. One, was the BBQ portion of About.com and the other was Amazing Ribs.com.
The BBQ Beat Podcast began with one goal in mind. Seek out as many BBQ and grilling influencers as possible and get them on the show. Having the chance to spend nearly an hour talking with Derrick definitely helped fulfill this goal. More than that, it was a real pleasure learning about his childhood growing up hunting and fishing in the Mountains of Utah, where his love of live fire cooking really started.
As we move through this episode of the BBQ Beat podcast, we’ll learn about:
- Derrick’s early beginnings with live fire cooking and a really cool story about a Kamado Grill
- How Derrick started out with About.com and where that took him personally and professionally
- The work Derrick is doing with his new book Kebabs: 75 Recipes for Grilling
- Some great advice for those new to smoking meat and who might want throw their hat into the competition BBQ ring
Derrick Riches on About.com (Now TheSpruce.com)
As I mentioned, Derrick started writing about BBQ on About.com back in 1997 and still contributes to the site today as part of the team at TheSpruce.com.
Over the past 20 years as the expert and writer for the barbecue section of About.com, Derrick amassed an immense level of knowledge and experience with just about every grill, smoker, or other live fire cooking device you can think of. The site (then known as about.bbq.com) was one of the biggest repositories of BBQ and Grilling recipes, reviews, tips, and consumer research articles anywhere on the Internet.
To give you a feel for what Derrick has and continues to put together, check out the following links I pulled from TheSpruce.com website.
I’m honestly surprised that Derrick’s recipes and reviews are not more easily indexed with TheSpruce.com site setup. However, I found a work around.
If you really want to get a big picture idea of the contributions Derrick has made as the BBQ expert and author for About.com (Now TheSpruce.com), check out this link. 30 Pages of Google Results!
Know this. Derrick’s recipes are rock solid. I’ve followed them many times with great results.
On the BBQ Reviews front – if Derrick has reviewed it, you can be sure he beat the hell out of it and pretty much treated the grill or smoker with utter brute force, leaving them out in the elements to fend for themselves! As he puts it in our talk, most people do NOT take the best care of their equipment. So he pushes the stuff he reviews to the limit on that front.
Kebabs: 75 Recipes for Grilling
I mentioned that Derrick and his wife Sabrina Baksh have a new cook book coming out the first part of April called Kebabs: 75 Recipes for Grilling. This book takes the typical Veggie, Meat, Veggie, Meat, Veggie mindset many have when it comes to kebabs and expands on it greatly.
Here is a sampling of the kebab recipes you’ll find in this book:
Kebabs: 75 Recipes for Grilling contains recipes for beef, lamb, pork, chicken and fish. There are also some great sauce recipes, as well as helpful tips to ensure you produce the best possible results. Here are a few of the beef, pork, and lamb recipes you’ll find in this collection…
I really hope you’ll enjoy this conversation with Derrick Riches. He’s a wealth of information and a go-to resource for live fire recipes and reviews.
Here’s How You Can Reach Out to Derrick Riches Online
If you would like to reach out to Derrick online, you can find him via one of the following social media channels:
Be Sure to Listen to More Episodes!
If you enjoyed this episode of the BBQ Beat Podcast, you can see the full podcast archive here. Or, simply catch up on some of the other most popular BBQ podcast conversations listed below.
- Fire + Wine with Mary and Sean of Vindulge.comFire and wine make for amazing food pairings, a fact that’s confirmed and celebrated in this conversation with Mary Cressler and Sean Martin of Vindulge.com. Keep Reading »
- John Scharbauer on 138 Years of Cattle Ranching, Progress, and Riding for the BrandIn this episode, you’ll get a fantastic history lesson on the Scharbauer family as well as a behind-the-scenes look at their storied 138 year old cattle business. Keep Reading »
- KCBS is Celebrating 35 Years and Wants You to Join the FunCelebrating 35 years of sanctioning World Class competition BBQ events across the globe is a big deal, and the Kansas City Barbeque Society wants you to join in the fun! Keep Reading »
- Talking with Chris Marks of Three Little Pigs Rubs and SaucesIn this episode, I talk with 9-time World BBQ Champion Chris Marks of Three Little Pigs Rubs and Sauces. Some great info here! Keep Reading »
- Talking with Jason Hardee About The Rufus Teague BBQ ThrowdownJason Hardee sits down with me to discuss the Rufus Teague BBQ Throwdown series, the BBQ Shootout series, the importance of family and more. Keep Reading »
- Grilling Up Meat District Delights with Zack PhillipsTalking Tri-Tip, Premium Burgers and more with Meat District Ambassador and Grilling Enthusiast Zack Phillips. Keep Reading »
- Talking Traeger Grill Patent Litigation with BBQ Expert Derrick RichesBBQ Expert Derrick Riches and I talk about the patent litigation currently pending between Traeger Grills and Green Mountain Grills. Keep Reading »
- BBQGuys.com Randy Watson is Living his Best Live Fire LifeLearn why Randy Watson of BBQGuys.com is living his live-fire cooking dream and how you can take steps to achieve yours! Keep Reading »
- Always Hustling – Ray Sheehan on Crafting Flavors and Promoting Your BBQ BrandWith 20 years in the food business and a work ethic founded on the lessons learned on his Grandfather’s farm, New Jersey native Ray Sheehan of BBQ Buddha knows what it takes to craft creative BBQ Flavors and promote a BBQ brand. Keep Reading »
- Talking with Robert F. Moss, Author of Barbecue: The History of an American InstitutionThis episode of The BBQ Beat Podcast features southern food and culture historian Robert F. Moss, BBQ Editor for Southern Living Magazine and author of Barbecue: The History of an American Institution. Keep Reading »