This is the BBQ Beat Podcast… I’m your host… Kevin Sandridge.
In this episode, I’m talking with Zahid Ahmad, Rehan Jaffrey, and Neghae Mawla from Halal BBQ Pitmasters out of the Dallas, TX area.
I came across their Instagram feed, located @halalbbqpitmasters, sometime back and was immediately intrigued by what they have going on. Similar to some of the rules and parameters set forth by the Kosher traditions of the Jewish Faith, Halal meats must be harvested in a manner prescribed by Muslim tradition. We’ll talk more about some of the particulars of this tradition later in the podcast.
What I love here is this… food, in all of its awesome and delicious forms, connects us across cultural and religious traditions, and this country is one where we’re free to celebrate this fact.
One of my favorite lines from Daniel Vaughn’s book The Prophets of Smoked Meats: A Journey Through Texas Barbecue is where Vaughn talks about exploring traditional food traditions in New Orleans during his days at Tulane… he states: “Lessons in food are lessons in culture, so the more food discoveries I made, the more at home I felt.”
These statements echo some of the sentiments many of us learned to appreciate from the late Anthony Bourdain as he took us on amazing culinary journeys that often led us into the homes and hearths of people across the globe.
If I’m an advocate for anything, it’s to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. Walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food. It’s a plus for everybody.– Anthony Bourdain
It’s in this spirit that the guys at Halal BBQ Pitmasters bring their love of food to the masses.
If you truly love food, I think you’re going to love getting to know these three gentlemen.
People and Resources from This Episode
The following folks are referenced in this episode with the utmost respect and appreciation. Here are their Instagram links.
Special thanks, as always to my generous sponsors!
Be Sure to Listen to More Episodes!
If you enjoyed this episode of the BBQ Beat Podcast, be sure to catch up on some of the other most popular conversations listed below.
- Saffron Hodgson of Bushcooking.com
- Make Charcuterie at Home with Rey Tagle
- Talking with David Bouska of Butcher BBQ
- Catching Up with Daniel Vaughn of Texas Monthly
- Talking Masterbuilt Gravity Series with John and John II McLemore
- Talking About BBQ in Norway American Style
- Halal BBQ Pitmasters out of Dallas Talk Food, Culture, and Eating Well
- Jon Jackson on Helping Veterans Find Solace and Healing at Comfort Farms
- The Lee Brothers – Hotbox: Inside Catering, the Food World’s Riskiest Business
- Inside the Small Batch World of Oakridge BBQ with Mike Trump