Heath Riles of Heath Riles BBQ is someone for whom I’ve had a lot of respect for some time. I’m proud to call him a friend and appreciate him sitting down and taking time to talk with me for this podcast episode.
Heath shares some of his earliest memories cooking with his family. His recollections on how he got started cooking BBQ competitions mirrors some others you might have heard (or experienced) — with drinking and partying playing a big role at first and an increase in focus and effort as the desire for more consistent results takes hold.
I don’t know too many competition cooks who have done as well as Heath has on both the KCBS and MBN circuits. These two sanctioning bodies run such different styles of contents that it’s not the norm to have teams dominate at both levels
Awards and Accolades
- 2013 – Whole Hog Team of the Year – Memphis BBQ Network
- 2014 – Team of the Year – Memphis BBQ Network
- 2014 – 3rd overall BBQ Division of the World Food Championships in Las Vegas
- 2015 – Won 12 Grand Championships ou
tof13 Memphis BBQ Network Contests competed in.
- 2015 – 5 Perfect “180” Scores in Kansas City BBQ Society Contests
- 2016 – Team of the Year – Memphis BBQ Network
- 2016 – Finals in BBQ Division at the World Food Championship in Orange Beach, Alabama
- 2017 – Team of the Year – Memphis BBQ Network
- 2017 – 9 Grand Championships in Memphis BBQ Network
- 2017 – 6 Grand Championships in Kansas City BBQ Society
- 2017 – Perfect “180” score in Brisket Division at the World Championship Jack Daniels BBQ Contest.
Wide Open Teaching Methods
I’ve attended a Heath Riles competition BBQ class and can tell you that he lays it out there like few others I’ve seen. Recipes, methods, tips and tricks… attendees get it all. If you ever have a chance to attend one, do it. If you’re a non-competitive cook, your friends and family will be wowed by what you’re able to do. If you compete – you’ll start walking more often. I promise.
Heath Riles BBQ – Competition Rib Recipe
Check out this video on How to Cook Competition Ribs Heath did with
Heath Riles BBQ – Blackened Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Here’s the blackened chicken sandwich recipe mentioned in this interview. You can find it over on the BBQ Guru YouTube channel.
Connect with Heath Riles
Want to connect with Heath? Awesome. You can find him via the following social media channels:
- Heath Riles BBQ Website
- Heath Riles BBQ on Facebook
- Heath Riles BBQ on Instagram
- Heath Riles BBQ on Twitter
Ratings & Reviews
If you enjoy this podcast, please give it a rating and review. Positive ratings and reviews help bring The BBQ Beat Podcast to the attention of other BBQ and Southern Culture lovers who may not be aware of the show.
And lastly, check out these past popular BBQ Beat posts…
- Farming, Food, and Family with Andy Lane of Hand Hewn Farm
- Celebrating North Louisiana Food Culture with Chef Hardette Harris
- Talking Food Heritage, Culture and History with Dr. Howard Conyers
- Malcom and Rachelle Reed talk food, family, and living that BBQ life
- Talking Hasty-Bake Grills History with Jay Johnsen