In this session, we hear from Brian Misko of House of Q as we continue talking about how to market BBQ sauces and rubs. I think you’ll find Brian an extremely detailed and informative resource on the topic of how to start marketing rubs and sauces from the smallest of beginnings to a large-scale effort using external production facilities like the co-packer operation we addressed in Podcast Session 3 with Tim Forrest.
Before we get to the excellent information Brian provides in this session, I want to be sure and steer you towards his book Grilling with the House of Q.
Brian sent me this book last year, and I was immediately struck by the way he combines a wide variety of live fire cooking recipes (both grilling and low and slow smoking) with stunning photos and enjoyable storytelling sensibility. The recipes in Grilling with the House of Q well-planned and delicious and are in many cases accompanied by fun stories about their origins.
See Brian Misko of House of Q in Action at All Things BBQ
What You’ll Hear in This Session with Brian Misko
This session is really just a part of a couple longer discussions Brian and I have had regarding his business background in BBQ. In this recording, you’ll hear Brian provide some great information on:
- The start up phase of any rub and sauce business (using his own experiences as an example)
- Some deeper questions that need to be addressed regarding how to market BBQ sauces and rubs
- Several key things to consider when dealing with co-packers – including managing expectations on both sides
- Steps Brian took – and ones you can, too – as he answered his own how to market BBQ sauces and rubs questions
I can’t thank Brian enough for his willingness to be as detailed as he has been here in answering the questions I’ve received from my readers on how to develop and market BBQ rubs and sauces.
Hopefully, this session has been valuable and informative for you. I especially hope that it’s cleared up a few things you might have been wondering ask you’ve researched the issue of how to market BBQ sauces and rubs. If you’ve enjoyed this podcast episode, please share it with others who might enjoy it as well!
Some resources from today’s talk are listed as follows:
Resources Mentioned In This Session:
- House of Q Website -place to go to learn more about Brian and purchase items from his store if “not” in the US
- All Things BBQ (atbbq.com) – where you can purchase House of Q sauces and rubs directly for shipment in the US