KCBS BBQ in Europe is huge. This is evidenced by the some 58 KCBS BBQ competitions slated for 2018 at the time of this writing. In this episode, I talk with Haymo Gutweniger, one of the KCBS Reps in Europe and organizer of the annual W.E.S.T. Winter extreme South Tyrol BBQ Contest, which is hosted in the Alps very near the northern border of Italy.
The W.E.S.T. Winter Extreme contest is hosted at an elevation of 3,436 meters in elevation (11272.97 ft) and should be on the bucket list of every serious competition BBQ team out there.
Here’s a video shot from the 2018 W.E.S.T. event courtesy of BBQ aus Rheinhessen. Matt Barber of Hot Wachula’s competed in this year’s event and took 1st place in Ribs with the first Perfect 180 ever achieved at W.E.S.T! (Note the cool Igloo built to be the Judges area!) I really want to attend this event one day. Note: Haymo is featured at the 10 min, 34 second mark.
BBQ Contests Mentioned in This Interview
- W.E.S.T. Winter extreme South Tyrol BBQ Contest (Italy)
- Tony Stone Low & Slow BBQ Competition (Netherlands)
- Brew ‘N’ Q Competition – Invitational and Open (UK)
- Italian Hardcore Barbecue (Italy)
- Tallya BBQ Festival (Hungary)
If you are a US-based Competition BBQ Cook Team or a KCBS Judge and would like to travel with ‘cue, definitely consider putting one of these or any of the KCBS BBQ events in Europe on your list! As Haymo says, the organizers will be thrilled to see you there!
Connect with Haymo Gutweniger
About the Show
The BBQ Beat Podcast, with BBQ Podcast host Kevin Sandridge, shares all that’s good in competition and backyard BBQ and grilling. Guests include competition BBQ pitmasters, food industry insiders, BBQ and grilling product manufacturers, and event promoters from the US as well as abroad. If you love BBQ and have an appreciation for southern culture and live-fire cooking – this is the Barbecue podcast for you.
Questions, Comments or Suggestions?
Ratings & Reviews
If you enjoy this podcast, please give it a rating and review. Positive ratings and reviews help bring The BBQ Beat Podcast to the attention of other BBQ and Southern Culture lovers who may not be aware of the show.
Be Sure to Listen to More Episodes!
If you enjoyed this episode of the BBQ Beat Podcast, be sure to catch up on some of the other most popular conversations listed below.
- Talking with Australia’s Ben Arnot of the Smoking Hot Confessions Podcast
- Wild Game, Fish, Foraging and More with Hank Shaw
- Talking Crisbee Cast Iron Seasoning with Brad Stuart
- Farming, Food, and Family with Andy Lane of Hand Hewn Farm
- Celebrating North Louisiana Food Culture with Chef Hardette Harris