Fun-loving, bombastic, and one heck of a BBQ pitmaster are descriptors that manage to only scratch the surface of Mr. Neil “Bigmista” Strawder – pitmaster at Bigmista’s Barbecue. Together with his wife Phyllis, he’s built up a West Coast BBQ following and garnered quite a bit of national, and international attention as well.
Neil and Phyllis are a BBQ Power Couple, with each lending their particular skills to the businesses Bigmista’s BBQ is building. Currently, there are two restaurants – The Sammich Shop in East Long Beach, CA and Bigmista’s Morning Wood in Lakewood Village, CA. Word is that a third is in the works.
Here’s a Peep at the Food Bigmista’s Barbecue Puts Out
The Origins of Bigmista’s BBQ on Video!
Check out this clip from Made Man, where Neil and Phyllis share the origins of their BBQ business. “Don’t cut into my shoe money!” Love it.
FUN! And that’s what you get from Neil in this podcast session. Next time, we’re going to do a conference call with both he and Phyllis. Oh man… the wheels are turning now!
Bigmista’s Sammich Shop on Video
Let’s start with the Big Close Out… wow. If they close the shop down like this every day, it’s going to become an event to mark on the calendar!
You can also get a great look into the BBQ operations over at The Sammich Shop by checking out the “Light It Up” episode of Man Fire Food with Roger Mooking on Cookingchannel.com.
What You’ll Hear in this Session with Neil Strawder
In this conversation with Neil Strawder, you’ll learn about his beginnings in BBQ – cooking as part of a competition team called 4Q BBQ. 4Q! No… 4Q!!!! Haha. Great name. Eventually, Neil began to sell BBQ at local area farmer’s markets, where he grew a strong and loyal following. This following and the success it brought led the Strawders to open up their restaurants, where business continues to do very well.
So there you have it. Neil “Bigmista” Strawder in all of his humor and style. If you’re in the Long Beach, CA area be sure to check out one or both of his family’s restaurants.
About the BBQ Beat Podcast
The BBQ Beat Podcast, with BBQ Podcast host Kevin Sandridge, shares all that’s good in competition and backyard BBQ and grilling. Guests include competition BBQ pitmasters, food industry insiders, BBQ and grilling product manufacturers, and event promoters from the US as well as abroad. If you love BBQ and have an appreciation for southern culture and live-fire cooking – this is the Barbecue podcast for you.
Be Sure to Listen to More Episodes!
If you enjoyed this episode of the BBQ Beat Podcast, you can see the full podcast archive here. Or, simply catch up on some of the other most popular BBQ podcast conversations listed below.
- Always Hustling – Ray Sheehan on Crafting Flavors and Promoting Your BBQ BrandWith 20 years in the food business and a work ethic founded on the lessons learned on his Grandfather’s farm, New Jersey native Ray Sheehan of BBQ Buddha knows what it takes to craft creative BBQ Flavors and promote a BBQ brand. Keep Reading »
- Talking with Robert F. Moss, Author of Barbecue: The History of an American InstitutionThis episode of The BBQ Beat Podcast features southern food and culture historian Robert F. Moss, BBQ Editor for Southern Living Magazine and author of Barbecue: The History of an American Institution. Keep Reading »
- BBQ in Britain with Kevin Edge of Edge BBQTalking with Kevin Edge of Edge BBQ (UK) about his British BBQ journey, his growing success on Instagram, and his two sociopathic chickens! Keep Reading »
- Sous Vide Meets Live Fire Cooking with Darrin WilsonTalking sous vide and live fire cooking with Darrin Wilson of the Fire and Water Cooking Channel. Up your grilling game with tips shared here! Keep Reading »
- Daina Falk of Hungry Fan Talks Eating Well on Game DayIn this episode, I am joined by Daina Falk of HungryFan.com. Daina is all about the Game Day Food Experience, and her website showcases recipes guaranteed to make any tailgating or “homegating” experience a Win! Keep Reading »
- Saffron Hodgson of Bushcooking.comIn this episode of the BBQ Beat Podcast, I talk with Saffron Hodgson, founder, and editor of Bushcooking.com. Billed as the ultimate location to find all your outdoor cooking needs, from recipes to techniques. Keep Reading »
- Make Charcuterie at Home with Rey TagleIn this episode, I talk with Rey Tagle, Home Charcuterie Master, about how to make charcuterie at home. There are lots of tips and resources in this one! Keep Reading »
- Talking with David Bouska of Butcher BBQIn this episode, I talk with David Bouska of Butcher BBQ about his history in BBQ, some key things competitors should know, and much more! Keep Reading »
- Catching Up with Daniel Vaughn of Texas MonthlyIn this episode, Daniel Vaughn and I talk about his thoughts on preserving BBQ history in Texas, his love of capturing BBQ narratives, and much more. Keep Reading »
- Talking Masterbuilt Gravity Series with John and John II McLemoreThis episode features the Masterbuilt Gravity Series as well as a very interesting story about the Masterbuilt Company’s history, its mission, and values. Keep Reading »