Fun-loving, bombastic, and one heck of a BBQ pitmaster are descriptors that manage to only scratch the surface of Mr. Neil “Bigmista” Strawder – pitmaster at Bigmista’s Barbecue. Together with his wife Phyllis, he’s built up a West Coast BBQ following and garnered quite a bit of national, and international attention as well.
Neil and Phyllis are a BBQ Power Couple, with each lending their particular skills to the businesses Bigmista’s BBQ is building. Currently, there are two restaurants – The Sammich Shop in East Long Beach, CA and Bigmista’s Morning Wood in Lakewood Village, CA. Word is that a third is in the works.
Here’s a Peep at the Food Bigmista’s Barbecue Puts Out
The Origins of Bigmista’s BBQ on Video!
Check out this clip from Made Man, where Neil and Phyllis share the origins of their BBQ business. “Don’t cut into my shoe money!” Love it.
FUN! And that’s what you get from Neil in this podcast session. Next time, we’re going to do a conference call with both he and Phyllis. Oh man… the wheels are turning now!
Bigmista’s Sammich Shop on Video
Let’s start with the Big Close Out… wow. If they close the shop down like this every day, it’s going to become an event to mark on the calendar!
You can also get a great look into the BBQ operations over at The Sammich Shop by checking out the “Light It Up” episode of Man Fire Food with Roger Mooking on Cookingchannel.com.
What You’ll Hear in this Session with Neil Strawder
In this conversation with Neil Strawder, you’ll learn about his beginnings in BBQ – cooking as part of a competition team called 4Q BBQ. 4Q! No… 4Q!!!! Haha. Great name. Eventually, Neil began to sell BBQ at local area farmer’s markets, where he grew a strong and loyal following. This following and the success it brought led the Strawders to open up their restaurants, where business continues to do very well.
So there you have it. Neil “Bigmista” Strawder in all of his humor and style. If you’re in the Long Beach, CA area be sure to check out one or both of his family’s restaurants.
Be Sure to Listen to More Episodes!
If you enjoyed this episode of the BBQ Beat Podcast, you can see the full podcast archive here. Or, simply catch up on some of the other most popular BBQ podcast conversations listed below.
- Fire + Wine with Mary and Sean of Vindulge.comFire and wine make for amazing food pairings, a fact that’s confirmed and celebrated in this conversation with Mary Cressler and Sean Martin of Vindulge.com. Keep Reading »
- John Scharbauer on 138 Years of Cattle Ranching, Progress, and Riding for the BrandIn this episode, you’ll get a fantastic history lesson on the Scharbauer family as well as a behind-the-scenes look at their storied 138 year old cattle business. Keep Reading »
- KCBS is Celebrating 35 Years and Wants You to Join the FunCelebrating 35 years of sanctioning World Class competition BBQ events across the globe is a big deal, and the Kansas City Barbeque Society wants you to join in the fun! Keep Reading »
- Talking with Chris Marks of Three Little Pigs Rubs and SaucesIn this episode, I talk with 9-time World BBQ Champion Chris Marks of Three Little Pigs Rubs and Sauces. Some great info here! Keep Reading »
- Talking with Jason Hardee About The Rufus Teague BBQ ThrowdownJason Hardee sits down with me to discuss the Rufus Teague BBQ Throwdown series, the BBQ Shootout series, the importance of family and more. Keep Reading »
- Grilling Up Meat District Delights with Zack PhillipsTalking Tri-Tip, Premium Burgers and more with Meat District Ambassador and Grilling Enthusiast Zack Phillips. Keep Reading »
- Talking Traeger Grill Patent Litigation with BBQ Expert Derrick RichesBBQ Expert Derrick Riches and I talk about the patent litigation currently pending between Traeger Grills and Green Mountain Grills. Keep Reading »
- BBQGuys.com Randy Watson is Living his Best Live Fire LifeLearn why Randy Watson of BBQGuys.com is living his live-fire cooking dream and how you can take steps to achieve yours! Keep Reading »
- Always Hustling – Ray Sheehan on Crafting Flavors and Promoting Your BBQ BrandWith 20 years in the food business and a work ethic founded on the lessons learned on his Grandfather’s farm, New Jersey native Ray Sheehan of BBQ Buddha knows what it takes to craft creative BBQ Flavors and promote a BBQ brand. Keep Reading »
- Talking with Robert F. Moss, Author of Barbecue: The History of an American InstitutionThis episode of The BBQ Beat Podcast features southern food and culture historian Robert F. Moss, BBQ Editor for Southern Living Magazine and author of Barbecue: The History of an American Institution. Keep Reading »