Now in its second year, the Sonny’s Smokin’ Showdown invitational BBQ event is shaping up to be even a bigger success in 2017.
In this session of the BBQ Beat Podcast, I speak with Barbara Latimer and Montana Smith, co-organizers of the invitational. If you’re an event organizer or better yet, if you’re planning to attend the Sonny’s Smokin’ Showdown on January 14, 2017, this is the podcast session for you.
Be sure to check out the time stamped show notes below for direct access to specific segments of this podcast session.
Sonny’s Smokin’ Showdown Invitational Overview
Last year, the Sonny’s Smokin’ Showdown Invitational hosted 47 teams from all over the country. Sanctioned by the FBA (Florida BBQ Association) the event offers a massive $68,000 total payout — paying homage to the year 1968, when Sonny Tillman opened his first Sonny’s BBQ in Gainesville, FL.
Iowa’s Smokey D’s BBQ, headed by pitmaster Darren Warth, took Grand Championship honors last year, with Killer V Cooking Team earning Reserve Grand. You can see they each had a pretty nice paycheck at the end of this one!
Feedback from Teams Who Cooked Last Year’s Event
I reached out to a couple of teams who cooked last year’s Sonny’s Smokin’ Showdown event to see what they had to say about the organization and overall production. As you know, there are some areas where competition BBQ events can really fall apart. You’ll see from these comments that the folks at Sonny’s know how to do it up right.
Great event, even when Mother Nature threw them a curve ball with torrential downpours the day before load in, they made the best of it. We’ll definitely be back. Sonny’s truly puts on a World Class BBQ contest. — Darren Warth, Iowa’s Smokey D’s BBQ
It was one of the best run BBQ events I’ve ever been to! From the time I pulled in the gate and asked where my spot was to leaving after awards! I’ll definitely go back!! — Heath Riles, Victory Lane BBQ
Prize Money Breakdown for 2017
This year, the Sonny’s Invitational pays to 15 places. Here’s a partial list of prize payouts. You can find the full list here.
- Grand Champion: $20,000
- Reserve Grand Champion: $6,000
- 3rd Place: $4,000
- 4th Place: $3,000
- 5th Place: $2,000
- 6th Place: $1,000
Prizes drop $100 per place down to 15 from here.
- 1st: $1,500
- 2nd: $900
- 3rd: $800
- 4th: $600
- 5th: $400
Prizes drop $50 per place to 15 from here.
Featured Charity: Operation BBQ Relief
The Sonny’s Smokin’ Showdown proceeds go to support the good folks at Operation BBQ Relief (OBR). You can find a post detailing their amazing efforts here.
OBR was founded in May, 2011 in response to a need for relief efforts in tornado-stricken Joplin, Missouri, a community of about 50,000 residents. Volunteers of competition BBQ teams from eight states answered the need to help feed displaced families, Police, Fire, National Guard and emergency personnel.
Since May of 2011, Operation BBQ Relief has served over 1 Million meals served in 19 states. Their funding comes from fundraisers, online merchandise sales and donations.
The 2017 Sonny’s Smokin’ Showdown is sure to be one of the biggest competition BBQ events of the new year. As you can tell from this interview, a lot of hard work and planning is going into making sure that cook teams, judges, and attendees have an experience to remember.
About the BBQ Beat Podcast
The BBQ Beat Podcast, with BBQ Podcast host Kevin Sandridge, shares all that’s good in competition and backyard BBQ and grilling. Guests include competition BBQ pitmasters, food industry insiders, BBQ and grilling product manufacturers, and event promoters from the US as well as abroad. If you love BBQ and have an appreciation for southern culture and live-fire cooking – this is the Barbecue podcast for you.
Be Sure to Listen to More Episodes!
If you enjoyed this episode of the BBQ Beat Podcast, you can see the full podcast archive here. Or, simply catch up on some of the other most popular BBQ podcast conversations listed below.
- Always Hustling – Ray Sheehan on Crafting Flavors and Promoting Your BBQ BrandWith 20 years in the food business and a work ethic founded on the lessons learned on his Grandfather’s farm, New Jersey native Ray Sheehan of BBQ Buddha knows what it takes to craft creative BBQ Flavors and promote a BBQ brand. Keep Reading »
- Talking with Robert F. Moss, Author of Barbecue: The History of an American InstitutionThis episode of The BBQ Beat Podcast features southern food and culture historian Robert F. Moss, BBQ Editor for Southern Living Magazine and author of Barbecue: The History of an American Institution. Keep Reading »
- BBQ in Britain with Kevin Edge of Edge BBQTalking with Kevin Edge of Edge BBQ (UK) about his British BBQ journey, his growing success on Instagram, and his two sociopathic chickens! Keep Reading »
- Sous Vide Meets Live Fire Cooking with Darrin WilsonTalking sous vide and live fire cooking with Darrin Wilson of the Fire and Water Cooking Channel. Up your grilling game with tips shared here! Keep Reading »
- Daina Falk of Hungry Fan Talks Eating Well on Game DayIn this episode, I am joined by Daina Falk of HungryFan.com. Daina is all about the Game Day Food Experience, and her website showcases recipes guaranteed to make any tailgating or “homegating” experience a Win! Keep Reading »
- Saffron Hodgson of Bushcooking.comIn this episode of the BBQ Beat Podcast, I talk with Saffron Hodgson, founder, and editor of Bushcooking.com. Billed as the ultimate location to find all your outdoor cooking needs, from recipes to techniques. Keep Reading »
- Make Charcuterie at Home with Rey TagleIn this episode, I talk with Rey Tagle, Home Charcuterie Master, about how to make charcuterie at home. There are lots of tips and resources in this one! Keep Reading »
- Talking with David Bouska of Butcher BBQIn this episode, I talk with David Bouska of Butcher BBQ about his history in BBQ, some key things competitors should know, and much more! Keep Reading »
- Catching Up with Daniel Vaughn of Texas MonthlyIn this episode, Daniel Vaughn and I talk about his thoughts on preserving BBQ history in Texas, his love of capturing BBQ narratives, and much more. Keep Reading »
- Talking Masterbuilt Gravity Series with John and John II McLemoreThis episode features the Masterbuilt Gravity Series as well as a very interesting story about the Masterbuilt Company’s history, its mission, and values. Keep Reading »