BBP 011: Interview with Ted Conrad of Fireboard Smart Thermometer
In this session of the BBQ Beat Podcast, I talk with Ted Conrad, founder of Fireboard. I’m a bit obsessed with data, especially when it comes to recording how my cooks go, and the Fireboard Smart Thermometer sure sounds like something I’ll be recommending you check out.
Fireboard Smart Thermometer Overview Video
This video provides a brief visual overview of the Fireboard thermometer.
Fireboard Also Works with Amazon’s Echo Voice Activated Service
Already accessible via bluetooth and cloud-supported wi-fi, the Fireboard Smart Thermometer is now integrated with Amazon’s Echo device powered by Alexa.
The FireBoard Alexa Skill is the perfect way to check the temperature of what you are cooking when you are busy preparing other food. It makes cooking fun with FireBoard. Use any Amazon Alexa enabled device, as seen in the picture below.
While there is no shortage of remote digital thermometers on the market, few if any offer the combination of data logging, connectivity, and cloud based access that come standard with the Fireboard Smart Thermometer. I know you’re eager to get to it, so without any further ado, let’s get to the show notes.
Time Stamped Show Notes
- [1:10] We learn about Ted’s background and what led he and his business partner Steven Briggeman to develop the Fireboard Smart Thermometer.
- [3:25] Ted breaks down the functionality offered by the Fireboard starting with the device’s accuracy, initial Bluetooth setup that makes Wi-fi setup a snap, and some of the more advanced features offered right out of the box.
- [6:35] Though the Fireboard Smart Thermometer transmits and stores data via the cloud using Wi-Fi, you can also capture and store information on the device when you’re at a comp and Bluetooth connectivity is your only option. The tracking, etc. available in this scenario is a BBQ data hound’s dream. For instance, you can see the temperature over the last several hours to get a solid idea of any fluctuation you’re experiencing during a cook. It’s like a Fitness Tracker for cooking!
- [10:21] Ted discusses the ability to download historical data reports from Fireboard’s easy to use web interface via .csv files so you can keep it and archive it outside of the free cloud storage they provide.
- [11:45] Fireboard is a year and a half into development with its product ready to go now. Ted talks about the field testing that’s been done by cook teams other users to show that this isn’t just “pie in the sky” ideas at work. User feedback continues to shape the functionality of the Fireboard Smart Thermometer.
- [14:24] The Fireboard thermometer can measure up to six channels at one time. This easily accommodates multiple smokers allowing for both ambient and meat temperature monitoring in each.
- [15:49] We learn about the auxiliary port on the side of the Fireboard thermometer allowing for future enhancements and expanded measuring capability.
- [18:03] Ted explains that the Fireboard Kickstarter page currently the best way for you to get one of these units through September 14th.
- [19:08] I ask Ted to discuss the manufacturing aspect of the Fireboard Smart Thermometer and learn about the resources he and his team are pulling from within the Kansas City, MO area and other parts of America. Most importantly, he explains that Fireboard is ready to ramp up volume with their suppliers moving forward.
I’m excited about the launch of this Fireboard Smart Thermometer. Check out the videos above and be sure to visit the Fireboard Kickstarter page as well as the Fireboard Corporate Website for more information.
Subscribe to the BBQ Beat Podcast!
If you enjoyed this session, please share it with friends! Of course, to be sure you don’t miss another episode, please subscribe via iTunes or your favorite Android podcast player! Simply click one of the buttons below!